I use Eclipse at home for development. And mostly Maven (except for two projects that use Ant because some of the people working on them have less reliable internet connections).
After preparing to run JUnit 5 with Eclipse and Maven, I wanted to check the impact on IntelliJ. It’s been a long time since I’ve tried using IntelliJ. The internet says it supports JUnit 5 so I wanted to try it to confirm. I need to know this:
- So I know what IDEs people can use at my JavaOne JUnit 5 hands on lab
- So I know whether upgrading the CodeRanch JForum fork to JUnit 5 will be a problem for the developers using IntelliJ
- Download Mac version of free community edition from JetBrains
- Drag .dmg folder to Applications folder
- I chose not import settings. I don’t even remember the last time I ran IntelliJ on my Mac so those settings aren’t likely to be useful.
Running the project
To run the project I migrated, I chose:
- Check out from version control > git
- https://github.com/boyarsky/oracle-java-cert-objectives-history.git and clone
- IntelliJ asked if wanted to create a project based on the pom and I said yes
- Choose command 1 for project view
- Tried to open a Java class and got prompted to configure the SDK. I chose the latest Java 8 on my machine. No need to use Java 9 for what I’m doing. /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_xxx.jdk/Contents/Home
- Build using build pulldown
- Run using run pulldown
IntelliJ was able to recognize the JUnit 5 annotations/methods and run them. It’s a bit ahead of Eclipse in this space so JUnit 5 won’t be a problem if they are using the latest version of IntelliJ.
Last night, I needed to do a full Time Machine restore on my Mac. I messed up installing things and made the problem far worse in my attempt to “fix” it. Then I tried to rollback a fraction of the disk. The laptop predicted 11 hours to rollback the files. It was easier to rollback to the state a few hours earlier. The only time I did a full Time Machine restore was when I got a new computer. That was going forward in calendar time though. This is the first time I went backwards.
For the most part, it was easy. The Mac prompted me on whether it was ok to erase the disk and restore. That took about two hours. My computer was pretty much set up on restore. It remembered lots down to my internet connection and github key. I got re-prompted from my Dropbox credentials (and for two factor.) No big deal.
Then there was Postgres. Every few seconds, I got the message “Do you want the application “postgres” to accept incoming network connections?” The message only appeared for about a second. Even if I was fast enough to click on it, it was back a few seconds later.
I tried signing the app based on some internet posts. No luck.
I got temporarily relief while I looked into the problem by blocking all connections:
- System Preferences
- Security & Preferences
- Click the lock to make changes
- My password
- Click unlock
- Firewall Options
- Click “Block all incoming connections”
This is not helpful in the long run, but it let me look at things without going crazy.
I checked the database logs in /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/datapg_log and found a file every few seconds with:
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2016-04-24 09:18:51 EDT
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: record with zero length at 0/5C42472C
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: invalid primary checkpoint record
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: record with zero length at 0/5C4246E8
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: invalid secondary checkpoint record
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT PANIC: could not locate a valid checkpoint record
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: startup process (PID 2326) was terminated by signal 6: Abort trap
2016-04-25 20:39:15 EDT LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure
Ah ha! That makes perfect sense. I jumped around in time which would confuse a transaction log. Now,t hat’s something I know how to fix. I did a forced reset of the transaction log:
- sudo su postgres
- cd /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin
- ./pg_resetxlog -f /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data
And all better! I turned the firewall connections back to the way they were before I started and good as new.
I upgraded the OS on my iPad and MacBook Pro today. I also set up the “new” two factor system. I hadn’t set it up with the old system when I set up two factor on many other accounts.
Setup was easy as described here. I added both my home and cell numbers. I like that you can choose whether to receive a text or phone call with the code. A code was sent to or called on each phone to verify. Since I set this up from my Mac, it became a trusted device. My iPad is recognized as logged in, but not trusted so the code only appears on my Mac.
I then signed in to my apple account in Safari to try to set it up as trusted. On my Mac, the six digit verification code automatically popped up. Minor bug, it was a window that went to the background when I tabbed away and I couldn’t find it when command+tab to switched. I had to drag my browser window out of the way to get it back. When I went to look at iCloud > username > devices on my iPad, I again got the location/verification code pop up on my computer. More convenient this time since it was a different device. I like that it shows the location of the device that wants the code.
I also got an email saying I turned on two factor and that I can opt out by clicking the link for a limited time. I like that the link expires to reduce the attack surface. Of course, I can always opt out through actually logging into my account.
The only problem is that I can’t figure out how to make my iOS 9.1 iPad a trusted device. The option just isn’t there under iCloud > username > password and security.