Speaker: Crux Conception @cruxconceptoin (pen name)
For more, see the table of contents
On walking in
- He asked what talk was in the room and teased people about giving too much info
- Also commented there is too much info (wifi password) on the badge
- Ability and talent to connect with emotion
- Can be offline or online
- We all do it. Ex: lying about what movie you want to see.
- May earn trust
- Goal is to do something or gain data
- Highly evolving method
- Teaching in college now
- Anonymous test messages with links
- Facebook messages asking where from
- Phishing – say have tickets but didn’t plan trip. Asks for employee id to confirm. Also gave up name by confirming it and said interested in going to Budapest (came from screensaver), – Called you so already know name.
- Team building – where grow up, how many siblings and unique challenge from childhood. Think about how much you disclosed and if you held anything back.
- Scenario where pen tester tries to get in building. Try to get someone to let you in. Most people say take to security or get security
- Scenario – pen tester pretends changed auto pay info and asks for employee id
- Companies have offices all over US. Try to get id number by calling Miami office and speak to receptionist then victium
Useful insider info
- Knowing how much a company would pay to recover from an attack
- Fill in the blanks
- Spoof text message numbers
- Israeli software to crack phone. Don’t even have to click link anymore. Get access to phone just by sending a SMS.
- 40% of major companies reported industrial espionage incidents in 2016
- Ex-employee stealing self driving car info from Apple. We focused too much on China. More African students in US than anywhere else.
- Leaking is making info public. Info is power. Have goal.
- Spilling is like leaking without intent.
- Sharing info at conferences. Ex: where you work.
- Russian and China trying to steal COVID vaccine research using malware and spear phishing
- Twitter hack on Obama/Biden/Bezos.etc, Trying to get money. Got data from internal employees
- Fake social media
- Steal sensitive data
- Espionage is like a double life
- Affects personality
- Traits (thrill seeking, sense of entitlement, desire for power/control) are also found in politicians and CEOs
- Helpful to be calm (see in tech a lot) and strong sense of responsibility
- May have regrets after
- Logical at the time
- More life crises because more than one personality
- When someone calls and says “is this Jeanne”, ask who it is rather than confirming
- Be cautious when people ask you a lot of questions
- No defense. Just try to avoid answering too many questions.
- Be careful if they initiate call.
- Think about info they should now. Ex: HR has employee id already
- In psych, organized means have life together.
- Psychopath – born that way. Sociopath – traumatic event started it
Crux is an ex-cop. I like that they had someone from outside development for a different perspective than we usually get. He’s a good speaker and kept it interactive. The scenarios were fun to think about.