I submitted my Pathways Level 1 award in early January. Due to a combination of club officer vacations and the officers not knowing what to do (since Pathways is new), it took over a month to get it approved. I completed level 2 in that time.
Today, I screenshared with the club President and we approved my Level 1 award. Now that we know what to do,we know it should take under ten minutes. Here’s the process to quickly and easily approve a level for members of your Toastmasters club!
Step 1 – the club officer gathers info that the member has completed the projects in the path.
There are a few options for doing this
- The member provides sufficient evidence that he/she has completed the speeches in the path. I went this route and emailed all my evaluations to the President and VPE. (I had chose this option because I’m a member of two clubs so the officers of the Pathways club have no other ways of validating)
- Past meeting agendas
- Speak easy or other online tracking system.
I recommend having the member at least provide you with the dates for validation if not the evaluations.
Step 2 – sign in to base camp manager
The club President, VPE or Secretary has to do this step.
- Sign into toastmasters.org
- Click “pathways”
- Click “go to basecamp”
- In the middle tile, you’ll have two options – you could choose “log in as a member” – but don’t. That takes you to Base Camp rather than Base Camp Manager. Instead, click the button under it to go to Base Camp Manager.
- Click “Pending Requests”
- Clcik the members name to view the transcript to verify. This could be cross referencing PDF evals or looking at agendas
- Then click the green checkbox to approve or the red x to reject. Either way, you can leave an optional comment to submit.
This process (starting from step 5), is described in the official docs with screenshots.
The member gets an email. I got mine a few minutes after the club officer hit approve.
Step 3 – getting DCP credit
Then go back into toastmasters.org and file an educational award. This increases the member’s title and gets credit towards the club’s DCP. It’s easy though – no need to type in titles:
- Club central
- Submit education awards
- Select member from pull down
- Education – level 1 (or whatever level)