This year the robotics team is using The Finch for teaching the new programmers about programming. The robot is cute and I know I’d want to play with it so I bought one too.
While I like Eclipse better than NetBeans, the programming team uses NetBeans. I decided to try out NetBeans with the Finch so I’m familiar with their platform/interface. I’ll want it soon enough anyway to check out NetBeans projects from git.
Step 1 – Install NetBeans on the Mac
- Download NetBeans – the basic JSE edition
- Open dmg file which allows you to choose to run the installer.
- Choose defaults and install
- When first launch NetBeans asks if want to install JUnit. (not clear on why JUnit doesn’t come with NetBeans – it comes with Eclipse)
- Download the NetBeans project
- Copy it to the NetBeans project directory which is /Users/me/NetBeansProjects on a mac
- In NetBeans, File > “open project” and then drill down to Finch.
- Connect the Finch’s USB to your computer. (The tutorial doesn’t say this, but it is implied.)
- Per the tutorial, choose Run > Run File.
- Enjoy the Finch. It’s so cute!