jeanne’s oca/ocajp java programmer I experiences

Blog

May 2012
« Apr   Jun »
14151617181920

jeanne’s oca/ocajp java programmer I experiences

May 18th, 2012 by Jeanne Boyarsky

Today I passed the Java SE 7 Programmer I with a score of 98% which makes me a “Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer“.

Deciding to take the test

If you’ve been following this blog, you may know that I’ve been a Java developer.  (tech lead and architect count if you still code <smile>).  Last year I took the SCEA and Core Spring certs.  So why go back and take the “entry level cert.”  I’ve thought about taking the SCJP twice.   My thought process to finally getting here:

1. Bert Bates mailed me a free copy of K&B version 5 so I could help spot plagiarism of questions on BlackBeltFactory years ago.  I read the book then.  I learned a lot.  I scored poorly on the sample questions because I didn’t take any time to memorize the  relevant information.  And I didn’t care to spend the time learning obscure details.
  2. In 2009, there were rumors of the Programmer Plus exam.  If that exam existed, I wanted to take the beta of it because it sounded *so cool.*  I re-read K&B version 5 and actually studied APIs.  The programmer plus never came to be and I wasn’t motivated to take the traditional SCJP.
  3. A year or two ago, I was one of the cadre of JavaRanch moderators providing technical review of the K&B SCJP 6 mock exam book.  Reviewing that book actually made me less likely to want to take the test because I read it questions about obscure details.  (It did make me interested in doing technical reviews of future books though.  I actually did one for a yet to be printed Manning book – The Well Grounded Java Developer.)
  4. When I noticed the Java 7 OCJPJP had JDBC and NIO sections, that got me interested again.  JDBC is one of my favorite topics and I moderated the CodeRanch JDBC forum for many years with Scott Selikoff.  The beta of part 2 was only $50 so I decided to take it.  I decided to take it on 4/19 and took the beta on 5/9.  I’ll be blogging about this separately in the next week or two.  While I don’t have the score yet, I think I either passed or came really close.  If I fail, I’ll pay full price to take it again.  I’m never going to be more prepared for it than I am right now and don’t want to learn obscure details again!  Once I realized this, I needed to take part 1 of the Java Programmer exam to actually get certified.

My study plan

In all fairness, most of the studying went on before I decided to take either exam.  Both by reading/reviewing the SCJP books and by just picking things up over the years.  I had a week and a day between part 2 of the exam and this part (part 1).  For two of those days, I didn’t do anything at all.    What I did the rest of the time:

• re-read chapters 1-5 along with parts of chapters 6, 7 and 10 of K&B SCJP which Bert recommended
  • take all 6 mock exams from Enthuware JA +V7

How were the resources I tried

1. K&B version 5 - Granted you’d buy version 6 at this point.  (or the OCA/OCP 7 version once it is out).  If you plan to take the OCP afterwards, I recommend going with this book to study.  If you just want to take the OCA, it is overkill as the information you need is mixed up with lots of harder information you don’t know.
  2. K&B SCJP 6 mock exam book - If you are planning to take the OCP afterwards and don’t mind the material being mixed together, this is a great resource.  If you want to get your OCA first without being exposed to the OCP information, it isn’t helpful though.  Also, some of the content is no longer on the exam so you have to ignore these parts.
  3. Enthuware JA +V7 - This was a great resource.  It was more difficult than the exam, but not overwhelmingly so.  The only topic that stood out as being on the mock and not needing to know was the ranges that primitive objects could hold.  A free 14 question trial is available so you can see what it is like before committing the $10.  Yes, you read that right.  You get 6 full length mock exams, analysis on your weak areas and the ability to retake questions by subject – all for ten bucks.  Even though there aren’t drag and drop questions, the mock exam still includes them because they are harder.  It also includes one or two fill in the blank questions.  (I found this to be practically impossible as a one character typo marks it wrong and then it is hard to compare to see why you were wrong.  But it isn’t frequent.)  The mock has been updated for Java 7 and the new objectives/difficulty.  I was highly satisfied with it. [My scores were 78%, 82%, 82%, 83%, 80% and 88%]
If you only have one resource, I would pick the Enthuware mock exams.

My impressions of the exam

• Just like on the SCEA, I had a ton of time.  I had an hour left after taking all the questions and carefully reviewing them.  (I found one wrong answer on review.)
  • Unlike the SCEA, the questions are designed to be tricky/subtle.
  • It was similar to the Enthuware mocks in terms of facts/skills you had to know and format.  The Enthuware questions used some of the same variable names, class names and structures.  Kind of like the SCJP talks about horses.
  • I really like how the exam uses incredibly similar looking questions to ask different concepts.  Even within the same exam.  This prevents you from remembering much of use or memorizing much in advance.
  • A few questions had you flipping between the “exhibit” class and the question.  This was annoying because if you are looking for subtle details, it is a lot to remember between flips or *a lot* of flips.
  • While taking the mock exams, I found a technique that helped me limit stupid errors.  My score jumped 8-10% of the last mock I took (the only one using that technique) and then again on the actual exam.  On the mocks, I went too fast because the questions appeared easy.  On the final mock and real exam, I subvocalized as I read the code for *all* code questions.  This prevented my brain from going too fast and missing anything.
  • When you get your score report, it tells you which objectives you missed questions in.  Mine was “flow control” which tells me I made a stupid error in that space.

And finally, why you should visit a testing center in advance

I took the SCEA and Java Programmer part 2 exams at my local testing center which I am happy with. They provide you with pen/paper and a detached room from the office to take the exam.  The only distraction is if there is another person in the room with you and he/she stops and starts at a different time.  They take care to be quiet.

Then there was the center I was at today.  They gave me a *one sided* erasable markerboard to write on.  But that’s within their rights.  If you want paper, you should call and ask.  The exam was held in what looked like a closet.  A small table with two computers and poor ventilation.  It was hot!  And no soundproofing.  I heard everyone who walked into the office while I was there.  Which included an irate customer who had computer troubles and was dissatisfied with the speed at which they were fixing it (this went on for 10 minutes) and another potential customer who was inquiring about training. It was loud enough that I had to hold my ears to think.  Which doesn’t go well with using a mouse to select answers or trace code on paper.

I wanted to take the exam today because I was off work today.  And I figured minimizing the time between part 2 and part 1 would give me less time to get out of the habit of looking for details in exam questions.  It was the right decision.  But I wouldn’t recommend “Horizon Technical Consultants of Flushing” as a testing center for anyone.

Comments

Pingback from jeanne’s ocpjp java programmer II experiences | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: May 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

[...] jeanne’s oca/ocajp java programmer I experiences [...]

Comment from Dave
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thank you for the detailed experience of taking this test.

I’m just wondering why on earth someone who took an architect level exam, and even a much more complicated framework like Spring, would wish to bother with such an elementary certification.

I think, at least for people who either coding for a long time or even are beginners, “sub-vocalization” is paramount, because it would prevent you from making those “stupid” mistakes that one always regrets can easily avoided.

It does really improve the score by 10%. Going through the k&B 6′s first two chapters, I was scoring in 60′s or 70′s, but once I decided to go through the codes from the 10,000 ft view, then forcing myself to zoom down more carefully on the details, it improved my scores for the next chapters up to 85% and 90%.

Of course, this is OCAJP (7) but still, I think the same discipline applies to all tests.

Posted: May 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Dave,
It certainly isn’t that I need it career wise. It was mainly curiosity, to experience it and to know I did it.

Comment from Donnie
Posted: May 28, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience as I too have begun to prepare for this entry exam. Congrats to you and your future endevours.

Donnie

Posted: June 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

When I took the SCEA, people asked when I got my cert in the mail and I didn’t remember. This time recordinding that info. Got it today for the OCPJA.

Comment from Nanospeck
Posted: June 11, 2012 at 12:58 am

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience jeannes. I was really searching for such a guidance. I would be checking out Enthuware course material and posting a review in my blog soon.

Comment from decentri
Posted: August 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Hi Kind Author! Thanks for sharing your experiences, certainly give me heads up going for the ocajp 7 interest worth taking… on top of that something else caught me, may i get the version of K&B version 5 too?

Posted: August 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm

decentri: it is $28 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Programmer-Study-310-055-Certification/dp/0072253606/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344297825&sr=8-2&keywords=sierra+bates+scjp+5

Version 6 is about the same price though so you really should by that.

I’m going to assume you aren’t asking me to illegal send you a pirated copy for free. Because that would be bad. And cheating. And if you are spending $300 on the exam, the cost of a book is negligible anyway!

Comment from Kostik
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 7:13 am

jeanne, first of all, thank you for detailed experience!
I just want to ask a question, is it true that on the real exam (1Z0-803), all questions have multiple choice answer?
and if yes, is it shown, how much options should be selected?
thanks in advance.

Posted: August 29, 2012 at 11:19 pm

When I took it there were still drag and drop questions. I believe these are gone now, but not sure. For the multiple choice questions, the questions all said how many answer choices were correct.

Comment from Aditya
Posted: January 3, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thanks a lot for your valuable post ..

Pingback from my first “thing in print” | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: April 5, 2013 at 3:49 pm

[...] The publisher said/suggested putting the foreword on my blog.  Here it is.  Notice I got plugs in for Head First Java (from another publisher no less) and coderanch.com in there as well.  Speaking of plugs, feel free to read what I wrote on t he blog about the OCAJP exam itself. [...]

Pingback from jeanne’s togaf foundation cert in 3 weeks experiences | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: April 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm

[...] I could go to my local testing center.  I didn’t want to try out a new testing center given my experiences last time at Horizon Testing Center of Flushing.  The TOGAF is big on the detail/concentration.  I needed [...]

Pingback from jeanne togaf certification part 2 | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: May 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

[...] the day I wanted to take the exam.  And I would never go back to the second closest one (read why Horizon Technical Consultants of Flushing is no good.)  I then looked for centers in Manhattan and found NetComLearning.  (I think I might have taken [...]

Comment from karthik
Posted: May 19, 2013 at 3:27 am

thanks for the tips…
my mock test scores were
76,67,70,77,81,75…
i failed to pass the last mock unique exam….how would i be able to score in the final? tomorrow is my real exam..

Posted: May 20, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Karthik: Good luck on your test tomorrow. You are hovering right around passing on the mocks. Don’t stress. Just be careful tomorrow and try to do your best.

Comment from Dhanasekaran k
Posted: August 23, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Hi Jeanne,

I read your blogs regarding the Java 7 certificaions and am planning to take up a certification. I initially had decided to take up the ocajp 7 certification but after going through the objectives i am in a confusion that whether to take ocpjp 6 or ocajp 7. Because the ocajp 7 objectives covers only basic topics but my goal to learn core java will not serve by this certificate and i had to spend more time to take up the ocpjp 7 certificate. Do you think taking up ocpjp 6 will be good for me?

please let me know your suggestions.
thanks.

Posted: September 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Dhanasekaran: Taking the OCPJP 6 is fine as long as it is offered.

Comment from Christian
Posted: March 10, 2014 at 11:25 am

Thanks Jeanne for shared this with us, I take the 1z0-803 and i think that Oracle would pay more attention to center test because, how you said they had a lot distractions. my English is poor. regards from Colombia.

Comment from Justin
Posted: March 28, 2014 at 1:29 am

Thanks jeanne for the sharing of your experiences.
Wow..98% score for your ocajp. I’m taking ocajp
next Tuesday. Hopefully able to score well.
My enthuware mock exam score are 40%, 40%, 71%,75%.
My first two attempts scores are really scary haha.
40%? What am I doing?!!!!
Then I pushed harder into those topics that I weak at.
It helps and makes me think harder for every questions
I encountered.
Will continue to work harder and finish the last 2 mock exams. Wish me luck :)