jeanne’s core spring 3 certification experiences

Blog

August 2010
« Jul   Sep »
16171819202122

jeanne’s core spring 3 certification experiences

August 20th, 2010 by Jeanne Boyarsky

Today I passed the Core Spring 3 certification exam with a score of 92%.  This blog entry is similar to Jeanne’s SCEA part 1 experiences – a place to share all the information about the process.  For SCEA, it was an place to weed through all the information out there and organize it a bit.  For Spring, it is the opposite.  There is an information shortage out there.  Not much is written up and most of what is out there goes with the 2.5 version of the exam.  As a result, this entry is much longer and has been split into a series of posts.

1. Background information
  2. About the test (includes Scope of the test and Spring 2.5 vs 3.0 exam)
  3. What did I read and how were the resources I tried
  4. My study plan
  5. Skills guru mock exam
  6. What I would recommend as a study plan

Background information

I took the Core Spring class the week of July 20th.  It comes with one free attempt at the test.  Retakes are $150.  Luckily, I didn’t need a retake.  Based on what I had heard about the 2.5 test, it went deeper than the course and required a lot of studying.  As a result, I decided to wait a month from taking the course before taking the test.  Now that I know what the test is about, I know I could have taken it a week or two earlier.  Or even earlier if the voucher arrived sooner.

In late 2013, Jakub Staš added noted some changes in the exam.

Next page: About the test

Note to those who are thinking of asking for a copy of the class materials:

The Core Spring course material is copyrighted by Spring Source. I cannot share it with others.  Please do not waste your time e-mailing me to request them.

Comments

Pingback from | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: August 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm

[...] regular readers of this blog know, I took a break from the SCEA while taking the Core Spring certification.  (To read about part 1 see Jeanne’s SCEA part 1 experiences.)  Now I’m ready to buy [...]

Pingback from jeanne’s SCEA/OCMJCA 5 part 2&3 experiences | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: November 18, 2010 at 4:39 pm

[...] word that I passed the SCEA/OCMJEA exam.  I passed part 1 in July and then took a break for the Core Spring certification.  Overall, the process is do part 2, take part 3 then e-mail part 2 and get grade in 4-6 weeks. (I [...]

Comment from Willy
Posted: November 29, 2010 at 5:41 am

was just wondering if you get a certificate like the Sun/Oracle exams?

Posted: November 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm

At the exam center they give you a printed certificate. Just the kind that comes out of a printer; nothing fancy.

Comment from Sangeet
Posted: January 5, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hi,
Many thanks for sharing your experience which helped me to clear the Core Spring 3 Certification today with a score of 94%. No doubt that the spring courese material is enough to prepare but the way you have put things as a study plan etc. gives a comprehensive reference point to prepare for the exam.
Thanks again and will try to add some questions in blackbelt website.

Posted: January 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Great and congratulations!

Comment from Kingsly
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Mind telling us how much “Core Spring class the week of July 20th” class cost?

Comment from Kingsly
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Congratulations Jeanne. I am dreaming about it for a while. Mind telling us how much “Core Spring class the week of July 20th” class cost?

Posted: January 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I don’t remember. Probably about two thousand. It depends on where you live though. If you register with springsource.com, they will tell you the price for your city.

Comment from Magnus
Posted: February 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

Thanks for your effort in providing information! I passed today with a score of 90 :)

Comment from Jaime
Posted: March 23, 2011 at 6:13 am

Hi Jeanne, I’m writing from Spain, and I congratulate you on your
certification in spring.
I would ask you a favor, if you think that is possible.
Could you send me the course material “Spring Core”, labs, text, ppt?
anything to help me prepare for certification, with the material
course official.

Posted: March 23, 2011 at 9:09 pm

No. That material is copyright of SpringSource and we are not supposed to share it. You have to take the course to prepare for the certification anyway so you’ll get it then.

My study notes which are not owned by Spring Source since I wrote them are at:

Comment from Ashish
Posted: April 19, 2011 at 2:11 am

Congratulations Jeanne !
Good Score achieved.
I am following your study notes to prepare for Core Spring Certifications.
If you have any other material , please send to me.

Looking forward to your co’operations.

Posted: April 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I shared all the materials I am allowed to on the blog.

Comment from M
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi Jeanne, First of all, thanks a lot for providing quite good information on spring v3.0 certification exam. I followed your study notes and did clear the exam successfully with a decent score.

Thank you.

Pingback from oracle certification – linking existing pearson/prometric accounts | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: May 16, 2011 at 8:32 pm

[...] to migrate their history from Prometric.  I have an existing PearsonVUE account from my Spring Certification.  The steps were straightforward enough and *almost* matched the [...]

Comment from Kalirajan
Posted: September 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hi Jeannne,

Thanks a lot for such an useful information in this blog and also for authoring the Core Spring 3.0 Certiication Mock in blackbeltfactory.

I have completed my exam today and I cleared it.

From the day one, I have been following up only your blog and I cannot stop thanking for providing such valuable information for Spring.

Thanks once again.

Note: I would like to contribute to the Certification Mock in Blackbelt factory. Hoping to start it soon.

Thanks,
Kali

CatLady

Comment from CatLady
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Hi Jeanne,

I’m scheduled to take the Certification test this Wednesday, 10/12/11. I tried to take the Certification Mock in Blackbelt factory, but wasn’t allowed because I don’t have enough points. I just registered today. Is there a way I can pay for the Mock test? I took all the Skill Guru tests, but hear that yours is the best. Thank you in advance!

Posted: October 10, 2011 at 11:00 pm

No. The manual says there is no way to buy points http://knowledgeblackbelt.com/#CoursePage/12648799/EN. BlackBeltFactory isn’t really designed for someone to come in and take a random course.

Note that while the exam I seeded will help you learn more about Spring, it is much harder than the cert exam. You’ll do just find on the real cert and can take the black belt one later for knowledge.

CatLady

Comment from CatLady
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for your reply and encouraging words. I’ll keep you posted.

Comment from Sameer
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Hi Jeanne,

First of all thanks a lot to share valuable
information regarding the Spring 3.0 cert exam. Because of this i could able to pass this desirable cert today. Your notes help me a lot during my study for this cert.

Thanks
Sameer
India.

Comment from Sameer
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Please, could you clear my doubts regarding how to get the spring certification’s soft/hard copy from springsource/vmware ?.
This ‘ll really help me.

My doubts are as follows

1. Did you get your soft copy of the certificate ?
2. How many days it will take for the soft copy ?
3. Will there be any hard copy sent ?

Thanks in advance.
Sameer
India.

Posted: October 12, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Sameer,
I got a printout off a certificate/statement I passed at the testing center. I don’t remember receiving anything else whether soft or hard copy. It wasn’t important to me so I didn’t follow up with springsource to see if I was supposed to.

Comment from Dan
Posted: December 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jeanne, I came across this site just now: http://www.springcertification.com, which has some useful resources regarding the Core Spring exam and preparing to study for it. Your visitors may also find this site useful in their studies.

There is a survey on there as well where you can register your vote to make the exam open for all to keep the whole process more democratic. Come on and make it open for all!

Regards

Dan

Posted: April 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Update: BlackBeltFactory exams can now be paid for rather than having to collect contribution points.

Pingback from jeanne’s oca/ocajp java programmer I experiences | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: May 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

[...]  (tech lead and architect count if you still code <smile>).  Last year I took the SCEA and Core Spring certs.  So why go back and take the “entry level cert.”  I’ve thought about [...]

Comment from Alex
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 5:25 am

How much did this exam cost? Thank you.

Posted: May 29, 2012 at 9:31 pm

You can’t pay to take just the exam. You have to take the course (which is 2-3 thousand dollars) and it comes with an attempt at the course. My employer paid for the course. It was a great course, but not the kind of thing you take on your own.

Comment from Yogesh Chandr
Posted: June 12, 2012 at 3:58 am

I found the site

very usefull for Spring certification exam

Comment from Bob
Posted: July 6, 2012 at 7:43 am

I passed the Core Spring certification exam last week. I was given a printout at the exam center that included my “Unofficial Examination Results”. Do we ever get an “official” certificate or printout from Spring Source? By the way Jeanne, your blog was very helpful for my preparation for the exam. Thanks very much.

Posted: July 7, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I don’t remember if I got anything official. Glad you liked the blog.

Comment from Piotr Nowicki
Posted: July 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks a lot Jeanne for such great writeup! It helped me a lot – yesterday I’ve passed the Core 3.0 exam.

I’ve also summed up my experiences, so if anyone is interested, you can read it here: http://piotrnowicki.com/2012/07/after-the-spring-core-3-0-exam/

Cheers!

Comment from CJ De Leon
Posted: August 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Thanks Jeanne for posting this blog, it has helped me with my review for the Spring 3 exam.

I have backread, and saw that you mentioned never getting anything official (ie. SCJP sends you a certification and badge as you probably have), how else can you then prove that you passed the exam? Is there at least a way for Spring to publish your credentials (ie. suncertmanager)?

Posted: August 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

I have the paper from that day. And it is listed in PearsonVue. Who asks to see your credentials from a certification?

Comment from Lin Ahmad
Posted: September 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Would appreciate if anyone would let me know if we can go back to the previous questions during the exam?

Are all questions multiple choice? Thanks!

Lin

Comment from Lin Ahmad
Posted: September 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

So sorry to bother everyone … I found the answers to my questions! :-)

Lin

Posted: September 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm

No worries. I posted your comment anyway as someone else might have the same question – yes, all questions are multiple choice.

Comment from Banyuken
Posted: September 7, 2012 at 7:04 am

I just passed this exam this morning. I just wanted to say thanks!, I don’t think I would have done it without your valuable notes and advices.

Comment from Nagendra
Posted: September 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I passed the exam today . Thankyou very much for your blog .It helped me a lot

Comment from Lin Ahmad
Posted: September 18, 2012 at 10:44 am

Jeanne, I passed the Core Spring V3.0 exam yesterday! Thanks to you and Gavin Lasnitzki for posting your notes and study guides.

To pass the exam, I think it’s really important to understand the topics thoroughly. :-)

Comment from Tom
Posted: October 26, 2012 at 3:36 am

Thanks Jeanne for your good advice and sharing your approach. It helped me pass.

It’s a pitty that VM Ware doesn’t offer us a real certification paper, but I don’t think that matters that much.

Comment from Parul
Posted: October 31, 2012 at 6:04 am

Hi,
Can you please tell me the pre requisites for learning spring framework?

Posted: October 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

For basic Spring, Just core Java. And a book on Spring.

To learn the more advanced technologies of Spring, you need to know the concepts they rely on like web apps, databases, queues, etc.

Comment from Rajesh
Posted: January 2, 2013 at 7:14 am

I like to do Spring 3 certification.
Can someone assist me ? how to take it forward.

Posted: January 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Rajesh: There is a lot of information on this blog. What is your specific question?

Comment from rohit
Posted: February 27, 2013 at 5:43 am

hey jeanne
i am going to give the exam in 3 days
i was just wondering what kind of questions they normally ask
is it related to finding error in codes or something like that
or is it more straight forward questions?

Posted: February 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Rohit: Good luck on the exam. It’s not tricky like the SCJP. THere are some errors in code, but mainly conceptual. And not “find the missing semicolon” type questions.

Comment from siddhartha
Posted: March 12, 2013 at 6:02 am

Thanks for your blog and tips it help me lot for preparation and very very thanks for your notes. I scored 76% just passing marks but your blog guidance give me confidence.

Regards
Siddhartha Mukherjee

Comment from Atul
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 11:47 am

I understand that, all questions are multiple choice. But, are there any questions for which we need to select multiple answers?

Comment from rohit
Posted: March 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm

yeah.. there can be multiple answers
they specify if a question has a single answer

Comment from Antony
Posted: March 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for your notes, Today i gave up my exam and cleared with a good score.

Antony

Pingback from jeanne’s togaf foundation cert in 3 weeks experiences | Down Home Country Coding With Scott Selikoff and Jeanne Boyarsky
Posted: April 10, 2013 at 7:22 pm

[...] of 82% on the TOGAF (Part 1) Foundation Certification today.  Just like with the SCEA/OCMEA and Core Spring certifications, that means it is time to blog about my experiences!  In fact, a manager at my [...]

Comment from EswarReddy
Posted: April 19, 2013 at 9:13 am

I know its been long since you added this post. Just checking if you have any sample tests in pdf or other format that we can use . The JavaBlackBelt and other sites are no more. (except Skill Guru).

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Hello Jeanne ,
I am working on form on Spring 3.X version. So I want to know that which book I should refer for the Spring Certification Exam. I am taking exam date of next Month. Please tell me step to take a date for the exam. I am in India Pune. I know the test center in my city. Please Guid me ???

Posted: May 1, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Bhushan: I cover what I read on the readings and resources page. I recommend re-reading the class study guide. And the Spring manual if you want more.

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 2, 2013 at 12:31 am

Hi Jeanne,
Thanks for the reply. Currently I am referring this book. Link as below:

Is it fine? Or I have to compalsary refer a Spring in Action. Please correct if i am wrong.

Posted: May 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Bhushan: Any book is fine. “Spring in Action” happens to be the book I used. You would be fine with just the official manual too. I learned more by learning from multiple sources.

Comment from rohit
Posted: May 6, 2013 at 6:41 am

hey jeanne
i am going to give the enterprise integration with spring exam
is there any guide for it?

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 6, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hii Jeanne ,
I am following your blog. And your step which you mention. But the problem is you mention one that 4 day training. Actually I contact to SpringSource People training center which is at Bangalore in India. And then ask for Huge payment like 1180$ . Actually its almost 59000 according to indian currency. And I am paying from my pocket. My company doest provide these kind of facility. So what should I do?. I am really confused. And I have to a certification. please contact me on . In that training what kind of things they coveres. Is there any online free training is available. or in some less amount so i can affort. waiting for your answer.

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm

And one more thing, I have basic knowledge of spring like DI, Spring-Jpa, the basics of the life cycle. Please guide me.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Rohit: I haven’t taken the enterprise integration exam so I don’t know if there is a guide.

Posted: May 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Bhushan: There are many ways to learn spring. However, the vendor requires you take the expensive training in order to sit the exam. The only cheaper option is to not get certified. I wonder why the certification is so important to you?

Comment from rohit
Posted: May 7, 2013 at 6:38 am

thanks jeanne.
i guess i’ll just have to make do with the study guide they provided

Comment from rohit
Posted: May 7, 2013 at 6:56 am

Hey bhushan
i had completed the core spring course from springpeople bangalore around a year back.
agreed its very expensive (it cost me much more than what it costs now) but it is totally worth it.
the major advantage are the projects they give ready made.
each set have a incomplete one and its completed one
so you can try to do it on your own but if your stuck then you can check for the solution
the best thing about these projects is that they are really good and extensive real world projects
if you try to learn it online then there are only a few simple examples which give a very direct solution
and if you want to learn from just books
there are small things that we tend to ignore or miss which causes errors to pop up
for me the course was totally worth it
and the instructors are very knowledgable and helpful. Any doubt that you might have they can help resolve in a jiffy.

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 8, 2013 at 12:13 am

Hi Rohit,
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you please able to tell me that they are going to provide staying facility in that and certification also? or just they provide a training.

Comment from Bhushan
Posted: May 8, 2013 at 12:32 am

Hi Rohit,
And I took a training from Seed Infotech. Currently I am working in Spring only. So I have some knowledge about the topic which they mentionin the Course. : Dependency Injection, AOP, Transactions, Spring MVC, Spring Security.
After this what do you think?
Still They offer me course in 39000. How much you paid for it?.

Comment from rohit
Posted: May 9, 2013 at 5:49 am

there is no accommodation that they provide but they would help you find one i think.
the topics you mentioned are more or less than mjority of the topics
there are some advanced topics too like JMS, remoting etc but not too detailed
The detailed study of the advanced topics come in the integration course.
i cant recollect how much i paid but i think it was around 70K

Comment from Manish
Posted: July 15, 2013 at 6:09 am

Hi Jeannes,

I would like to thank you for the detailed guide for Spring certification. Following it helped me with passing spring core 3.0 certification with 90% score.

Thanks again,
Manish

Posted: August 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Congrats on your pass Manish!

Pingback from Spring Professional Certification Exam | Java CodeBook
Posted: August 24, 2013 at 4:02 am

[...] Following that philosophy, here’s the distribution for Spring 3 as per Jeanne Boyarsky’s Spring 3.X Certification Experiences (http://www.selikoff.net/2010/08/20/jeannes-core-spring-3-certification-experiences/): [...]

Comment from Raj Kumar
Posted: September 11, 2013 at 5:36 am

Hi Jeannes,
Itestjava.com is offering 5 complete tests(total 250 questions). Can you suggest if they are worth purchasing and may be close to real exam?

Comment from Gordon Dickens
Posted: September 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Consider replacing the term “J2EE” with “Java EE”, Java 2 was eons ago and Oracle officially references the enterprise edition under the name “Java EE”.

Posted: September 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Done. Thanks for noticing Gordon.

Posted: September 17, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Raj: I can’t tell from the 5 free questions.

Comment from Jen
Posted: October 1, 2013 at 3:42 am

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for providing this information. Just a quick question – is the mock test that you created available anywhere else (as the JavaBlackBelt site you linked to no longer exists) ?

Thanks!

Posted: October 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Jen: Unfortunately. When the site when out of business, I asked about taking the data. I was told that was not allowed.

Pingback from SpringSource Certified Spring Professional | Jakub Staš
Posted: December 8, 2013 at 6:21 am

[...] to find before my exam was a blog post about certification experiences by Jeanne Boyarsky on her well-known blog. However these information are almost 3 years old and few things have changed since then, so please [...]

Comment from Waël
Posted: October 16, 2014 at 5:24 am

Hi Jeanne,

Why The “My study plan” page return a 500 Error? how can I access the following informations?

Thanks

Posted: October 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Good question. Looking into it.