I upgraded my postgres today. (Yes, I know it is an old version – that is what the CodeRanch forums use.) First I reviewed what I did to install 8.3 originally and how frustrating that was. Upgrading went smoother. Here’s what I did:
- Download the Mac Postgres 8.4 graphical installer.
- Install it.
- Create my database and load data
- Change context.xml in Tomcat to point to port 5433. (since I had two postgres installs at the same time, it incremented the port from the default of 5432) (changed this back)
- sudo su – root and changed /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf to use port 5542. (If I was doing this again, I’d just uninstall the old version as first step to avoid port conflicts)
- In finder: Go > Go to folder > Libraries > Postgres > 8.3 and select the uninstaller app
That’s it. Nice and easy. Which is good because the initial install was nothing but easy!
Now I can rewrite this without a stored procedure!