Studying for the AWS Associate Developer Exam? Keep reading for what to expect as I share my tips for passing the exam on the first try *and* making the best use of your time. Also see:
Choosing the Right Associate Exam
There are three Associate level exams. The Architect and Developer exams have a lot of overlap. The Sys Ops one is very different. Which means those reading this page are probably deciding between the Architect and Developer exams!
If you look online, different people will say each of the associate exams is the “hardest”. The problem with “hard” is similar to the problem with “easy”.
In a nutshell, I’d say developers will probably find the developer one more interesting. Those with a networking or architecture background will probably find the architect one more interesting. Another tip is to look at the ACG (A Cloud Guru) outline for the architect and developer exams to see which you find more interesting. For example, Dynamo was one of my favorite topics and VPCs one of my least favorite so Developer was clearly the right choice!
Official Study Guide/Outline
Jeanne’s Study Guide
My study guide is meant to supplement your other study resources – especially ACloudGuru!
If you are reading this in Sept 2019 or later
There’s an official study guide book coming out!
A Cloud Guru (ACG)
- The A Cloud Guru developer course is excellent. It contains good videos, practice questions and a mock exam. It is free for 7 days and costs $30 for the next month. Just remember to cancel before the month is up so you don’t get billed for a second month.
- See my blog on how ACG prepares you
Amazon’s free questions
- The official Architect practice questions are relevant to the Developer as well.
- The official exam readiness video has the official Developer practice questions.
- If you’ve taken another AWS exam (like the Practitioner), you get to take a 20 question timed practice exam for free. Go into the cert dashboard using your login to get a coupon code for this.