I bought my mother a Chromebook in 2012 and again in 2014. That one lasted longer and here we are five years later. It’s time to replace the Chromebook with her third one. Definitely a happy customer.
I went the Best Buy like the last two times. The number of Chromebooks on the market exploded! I think they had nine in the store. I went with the Acer Chromebook 15. It’s a basic machine with built in speakers. Like actual speakers, not embedded ones.
Comparing the stats from 5 years ago
My mother wants to listen to music now. This means I care about the hard drive now when I didn’t five years ago. Everything is better on this machine except the CPU. The computer is never CPU bound though so that seems ok
|Asus (2014)||Acer (219)|
|CPU||Intel 2.16 GHz||Intel 1.6 GHz|
|USB||1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0||2 USB 3.0|
|Weight||3.1 lbs||4.41 lbs|
|Battery life||???||12 hours|
Setting up the Chromebook
- The Chromebook was set to Sept 18th 1:00 on May 15th 10:21. Maybe that’s when it was built/packaged? It got fixed automatically when I connected to wifi
- I chose “let’s go” on the welcome screen and connected to my home wifi.
- I then got the ChromeOS terms page. For about a minute, it showed me a cert invalid page. Then the screen loaded with the terms. Weird.
- I chose not to send data to Google and accepted the terms. (My mother is bandwidth constrained so don’t want to use up any helping Google.)
- Signed in. My profile was automatic. Since I signed on as my mother, I got her giant accessibility cursor
- I accepted Google Play/Google Drive since I want to use an app. I did not enable location services.
- On settings
- disabled Bluetooth
- disabled sync for passwords/addresses/google pay
- changed time zone to Pacific
- turned off check if have payment methods saved
- on site settings, disable microphone and camera
- Installed Keep Awake browser extension
- Covered camera
- Right click desktop and choose “set wallpaper”. Choose light blue under solid colors
- I tested the USB, HDMI headphones and that a Kensington security lock works with